Monday, January 4, 2016

Blaine's Birth Story: Part 1

August 13, 2015.

The best day of my entire life...as cliche as that is to say.
The day I met my son will forever life in my heart and in my memory.

This day is also the day I learned that I am not in control.
Although things did not go as planned, I have made peace with my son's birth. He arrived safely, I was allowed the opportunity to watch my son grow, and that's all that truly matters.


Blaine's labor and delivery story starts on Wednesday, August 12. That morning, my mom had come over after daily mass to take Michael and I's picture on our front porch  just in case something happened at my 39 week doctor appointment later that day.

We loaded up our car with the car seat and all of our hospital baggage, as we had every single week for the last month. We were going to be prepared. If we are anything..it's prepared. 

Prior to this appointment, I had no cervical change. However, our AMAZING doctor said that he felt very low. He also expressed a tiny bit of concern that our sweet little boy would actually be a sweet BIG boy. We had no idea how right he would turn out to be.

When we arrived for our appointment, we waited the normal amount of time to see the doctor. We went through the usual routine of weight checking and all of that good stuff. The doctor checked for cervical change. 1 centimeter and head down. YES! He was just about ready to let us go home until the next week's appointment when I spoke up.

For the few days prior to the appointment, I had a feeling that our son was larger than average. This was not helped by the many people in our lives commenting on my size and saying that we were having a big boy. ;) I asked the doctor if he would be willing to have a quick ultrasound just to check on his size. Thankfully, he agreed and we went right to the ultrasound room to see our boy.

Right as he began the ultrasound, I could tell that he agreed with my opinion that baby was over-sized. He quickly finished up, and told us the results. He estimated Blaine to be 9 pounds, 1 ounce. If you ask me, that's a pretty good size baby... 

He gave us two options. 1. We could wait another week and reassess the situation, or possibly go into labor naturally over the next week. 2. We could head to the hospital right then to begin an induction. We were told that the changes of c-section were fairly good for either option. Either I could chance the baby growing another 1/2 pound to a pound or I could start pitocin and see how things happened. This was the first of many choices that we had to make over the course of the next 24 hours. 

No comments :

Post a Comment