Blaine's Birth Story- Part 4
He's Here!
After the epidural, I spent the next few hours sleeping and visiting with family. The doctor came in every hour to check me. At 3:00 P.M. he came in, after increasing my Pitocin again the previous visit. I had made no change. Not even a little bit. He gave me the option of waiting one more hour, or discussing my other options. I asked for one more hour in hopes that I would progress.
I didn't. At 4:00 P.M., I was checked one last time, and had not progressed what so ever. I was still -3 stations, 75% effaced. Our doctor expressed concern that Blaine was face up, and therefore, unable to engage and progress my labor. At this time, we made the decision to go ahead with the c-section. Honestly, at this point, I felt at peace with the decision. I was, of course, afraid of having major surgery, but I knew that I was in capable hands, and I was thrilled to FINALLY be meetings my baby. They began prepping me for surgery.
I was brought back to the operating room waiting area with my mom and Michael. I had already had the epidural, so I did not have to have any more medication. As they prepared for my c-section, Mike and my mom were not allowed in the operating room with me. It felt like a very long time that I was back there by myself, but I know now that it was only a few minutes. They were brought back just as the c-section began.
Thankfully, they did not strap my arms to the table during my surgery. I think that would have made it much more scary. The anesthesiologist made me promise that I wouldn't move my arms, and I am happy to say that I kept that promise! The actual surgery is sort of a blur. I remember feeling a lot of pressure, and the doctor and nurses talking. I do not remember much else...until I heard that doctor say, "Here he comes!"
Shortly after, he said, "Oh yeah. This is a 10-pounder." Mike could see around the curtain, and so could my mom. Both told me that he was so big, and that he had hair! I was so thrilled that he had hair! The doctor finally lifted Blaine over the curtain for me to see for the first time. He was absolutely perfect. They brought him over to get cleaned up and weighed. Mike stayed with me while they finished up, and my mom followed Blaine to take pictures. "Oh my gosh, Jacey." "What?!"
"10 pounds, 6.3 ounces."
He was a BIG boy.
Mike was finally able to go see our boy, and got to hold him for the first time. He brought him over for me to see. I didn't hold him at this point, because I was very shaky and did not feel comfortable. During this entire time, Blaine cried for maybe 30 seconds, and then spent the rest of the time quietly watching everything that was going on in the room. He is very much still like that to this day.
Seeing Blaine was surreal. Seeing my husband as a father was amazing. I loved him from the moment I saw him, and I was just so grateful that I was his mom. We finished up the surgery, and headed to the room to introduce Blaine to the rest of our family.
Overall, my c-section was a really great experience. My recovery went very smoothly, and I don't feel that I missed out on any special experiences because of the surgery. More than anything, I am glad that my very large baby arrived safely. I am especially thankful for my doctor recognizing that I wasn't progressing,and that the safest option for everyone was a c-section. I feel very confident in my son's birth, and do not regret the way things ended up.









No comments :
Post a Comment